Wednesday 5 October 2016

SURVIVAL IS NOT TAUGHT IN SCHOOL


                               SURVIVAL IS NOT TAUGHT IN SCHOOL
I’m not a prolific writer but I think I know how to express myself in my writings.
   The school is an institution that helps groom young minds or better still educate young minds. There are lots of institutions, but it’s funny to so much believe the school will provide solution to all of our problems. We forget it’s just an institution; the biggest of all institutions is “Oneself”. Most of us realize the truth when we finish schooling.
  The world has changed but the school has not, the advice has not. The advice is ”go to school and get a good job so you can earn money and live well”.
Our parents said that was how they were advised. In the end, we would realize we are playing by the same set of rules our parents played by many decades ago, we forget that the world has changed and its’ needs have changed as well and every generation must be an improvement on the other.
In the words of Robert Frost (The road not taken):
“I took the ones less travelled by,
And that has made a difference.”

The common road travelled by is ‘go to school’- ‘get good grades’-‘get a good job’ among others.
What has happened to ‘go to school’- ‘get educated’- ‘create a job’ which differ from the norms?
We can’t all travel by the same road and expect to get different results, ‘Being mad’ means doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
The goal is not to ‘pass exams and be educated’; the goal is to get knowledge. What we need to survive and be the likes of Bill Gates is not taught in schools. Mark Zuckerberg never took a course on “How To Develop Facebook” in his high school; this is because, if he actually did. The teacher should be master of such techno-preneurship.
School as an institution has been over-emphasized to the extent that students even attempt suicide when they fail; they attempt such because they are ignorant of the fact that there is a lot to life.
“This  one is for my generation, the ones who found what they were looking for on Goggle, the ones you followed their dreams on Twitter, pictured their dream on Instagram, accepted their destiny on Facebook. This ones for my  ‘failures’ and ‘drop outs’, for my unemployed graduates, my shop assistants, cleaners and cashiers with bigger dreams,my self-employed entrepreneurs, my world changers and dream chasers”. In Suli Breaks’s  voice.
 Sometimes ago, I was surfing the internet and I came across a video of Suli Breaks “I Will Not Let Examination Determine My Faith”
Many of you guys might have seen this video and I believe you will agree with me when I say this guy said it all.
About how many formulas we memorized never to use in exams, about having different types of students with different levels of Intellectual Quotients and ways of processing information; but the school examines them again and again by the same method. However, the most vital of all examination is left out which is “How To Survive”.
The world has changed; time has changed, but the school has not, the advice has not.
Personally, I have always wondered why examination is the society’s way of testing our worth. You know I think what is affecting us especially Nigerians is what I term as “Misplacement of Priority”.
Have you ever wondered why the average students do better in life? I believe, “they knew they were not there yet, they knew they needed to be something more and they develop themselves in silence” while the first class student was busy enjoying the fame that comes with being a first class student. Don’t forget the key to improvement, “knowing you need to improve”.
I realized that the world changers were world changers because they knew the world needs to change.
It’s time to prioritize, to set our priorities right. Students can do better than pass exams.
We should not only get educated but we should indeed be knowledgeable.

BUKKYGOLD

No comments:

Post a Comment